Essential oils have many benefits. In this post we’ll discuss their top 10 uses. But you need to know how to use them for maximum benefit.
Here to use essential oils properly:
- Aromatherapy – Diffuse the essential oil into an aromatherapy diffuser (works best in a smaller room) and breathe deeply.
It might be possible to boost feelings of well-being by inhaling the fragrances of essential oils because this stimulates smell receptors in the nose, sending messages to the brain.
Essential oils may also have a subtle effect on the chemical and energy systems of the body. Thus, aromatherapy is used as a natural remedy to relieve stress and anxiety.
Here are a couple of other ways to use essential oils:
- Infuse a bubble bath with a few drops of essential oils.
- Topically – Dilute with a carrier oil like coconut, jojoba, or almond oil before applying on your skin to reduce the risk of irritation when applied directly.
Many essential oils can be used to treat anxiety disorders because of their soothing effect. Here are some essential oils that are known to help with relieving anxiety:
- Lavender oil – Reduces anxiety by impacting your limbic system, the brain that controls your emotions.
- Valerian – Valerian oil not only calms your nerves but promotes sleep.
- Chamomile – It has both relaxing and sedative properties.
- Jasmine oil – Inhaling jasmine oil promotes a sense of well-being and even romance. It relaxes you without making you sleepy.
- Rose oil – The enchanting floral scent of rose oil relaxes your senses.
- Holy basil – Adding a few drops into an aromatherapy diffuser and inhaling the fragrance may reduce physical and mental stress.
To treat Migraine headaches
Migraine sufferers frequently experience intense pain that essential oils like lavender, rosemary, and peppermint may help relieve. Aromatherapy reduces stress and improves circulation. Plus, there are no side effects unlike with prescription medications that treat migraines.
- Peppermint oil contains menthol, which relaxes your muscles and eases pain when used during a migraine episode. Apply diluted peppermint oil to your temples for best results.
- Lavender oil – helps to ease pain in acute migraine attacks. It also relieves stress and relaxes your muscles easing your headache.
- Rosemary oil has powerful anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It also reduces stress and improves circulation, which helps with headaches.
Essential oils like Eucalyptus, thyme, clove, lavender, and turmeric have anti-inflammatory properties. They work best when applied topically over the inflamed area. You can use them as a topical ointment, massage oil, or a lotion. Massaging these essential oils will improve circulation, minimize your inflammation, and ease pain in those inflamed regions.
It’s a struggle for those with insomnia to fall asleep. Essential oils like lavender, chamomile, cedarwood, and valerian are known to promote sleep. Put a few drops into an aromatherapy diffuser kept in your bedroom. Inhaling these essential oils should make it easier to fall asleep.
As a stress reliever
Because of their relaxing effect, some essential oils reduce stress. Examples of stress-relieving essential oils are lavender, orange, lemongrass, neroli, and bergamot. Whenever you feel stressed, put a few drops into a tissue or cloth and breathe in the fragrances for a calming effect.
Ease joint pain
Relieve joint pain by applying an essential oil-infused ointment or lotion topically on the aching joint. Essential oils like Eucalyptus, Frankincense, ginger, and evening primrose oil can ease joint pains.
For treating Arthritis
Arthritis is inflammation of the joint. Mild forms of Arthritis can be treated with essential oils without any of the known side effects caused by anti-inflammatory pain killers. Experience soothing relief by applying the essential oil directly on the inflamed joint.
To improve your concentration
Essential oils like peppermint, spearmint, Rosemary, and sweet orange help improve focus. Breathe the fragrance deeply for maximum benefit. Your concentration will improve, especially when studying or focusing on a project.
For skin irritations
Skin irritations like acne, dry skin, and allergies can be treated using essential oils like tea tree oil, lavender, chamomile, and lemon. To reduce skin irritation, inflammation, itching, and acne eruptions apply them topically on the affected areas or use them as a face wash.
Improve your immunity
Essential oils like ginger, turmeric, lemon, oregano, and peppermint are known to improve immunity. They can be used as aromatherapy, consumed as a food or beverage, or applied topically to obtain this benefit. Essential oils enhance your immune system.
Essential oils are a natural way to relieve anxiety and stress, reduce pain and inflammation, boost immunity, promote sleep, and enhance overall well-being. They are affordable and effective. By using them, you can avoid the harsh side effects that accompany many prescription medications. It’s a good idea to consult with your health care provider when adding essential oils to your treatment options.
Image by monicore from Pixabay